Over the last several years, I have been hearing about a movement going on around Lent called 40 Bags in 40 Days (or something like that). The idea is that you go through and clean and purge and get ready for Easter and get rid of 40 bags of stuff. Without having looked up the official rules for the exercise, I’ve decided to set up a schedule and rules of my own.
40 Bags in 40 Days Rules
- Said bag shall be a normal plastic grocery bag.
- Whether it is trash, recyclable or donate-worthy, all bags count.
- All items corralled in this Lent period as a part of this project will be donated to charity.
- Corralled items that can be sold during Lent will have their proceeds donated to charity.
- Week 1 (Ash Wednesday week) – Kitchen & Dining Room
- Week 2 – Living Room & Playroom
- Week 3 – TV Room & mess behind the couch
- Week 4 – Hall closet, bedrooms, mess behind the couch
- Week 5 – Master bedroom, bathroom & closet
- Week 6 – Laundry Rm, Storage, & Entry
- Week 7 (Holy Week) – catch up/whatever is left
While I REALLY want to feel like I’ve made progress on my mess behind the couch (notice it gets TWO weeks!), I’m starting with the kitchen and dining room because during Lent, we eat very simply and try to clean out the freezer and pantry. You know, do without! The easiest way to do that is to clean and reorganize the pantry and freezer so I know what we have to work with.
I’m not sure how often I will update my progress on the blog, but I’m sure I won’t be able to stop myself from tweeting about or whinning on Facebook :).
What are your Lenten plans?