Thanks to the disipation of Hurricane Gustav, there is a 100% chance of rain this weekend. I scoured the TCCVB website to see if there was anything fun going on and it seems like a bit of a drought (pun intended). I would guess that it probably has a little to do with the fact that the kids have just started back to school this week. What would we do this weekend in the rain? If it wasn’t raining, I would have suggested a road-trip & a picnic.
Why not have a picnic anyway?
Staging your Indoor Picnic
- move your furniture to the perimeter of the room
- turn up your heat — it’s probably been off all summer; use this opportunity to make sure it still works before the first really cold night
- turn on all the lights
- put on swimsuits or other warm weather gear
- get out your beach blanket or picnic tablecloth and spread it out on the floor
- if you don’t have small babies, get toy ants or make some ants out of construction paper and/or pipe cleaners. Put them around and on your blanket.
- bring a portable radio & play your favorite Beach Boys or Jan & Dean tunes
- play your favorite board games, play cards or read from the family book
- you could also make something to take on your next picnic, like kites
- if you have a kids tent, put that up, or help them build a fort
- go on a bear hunt! For more details, click here.
- pack your picnic basket with whatever you normally take on a picnic. How about:
– PB & J, cut veggies & lemonade
– Hamburgers and/or hot dogs, noodle salad, chips
– BBQ chicken, potato salad, fruit salad
– dessert = ice cream sandwiches (pretend to walk to the ice cream place to get them!) or pack cookies or cupcakes.
For more food ideas, sign up for http://www.picnic-basket.com‘s newsletter. You will get a theme picnic book & newsletter filled with picnic ideas: http://www.picnic-basket.com/Newsletter_ep_76.html
After you’ve had your picnic, ask your family what they would like to do next time & add that to your plans for next time. Make your family time fun!
Tell us, how did your indoor picnic go? What did you do? Post a comment & let us know!